WELCOME!

WELCOME! I used this blog to share our family's homeschooling thoughts and experiences. Our oldest child, EL, finished her formal education in May 2017, and we graduated our son, JJ, from High School in May 2021. I will leave this blog up for anyone who wishes to read our curriculum reviews or see what types of field trips and/or activities we participated in.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Perfect Fall Dish: Chicken Stuffing Pie


Yesterday, EL helped me make our own version of a chicken pot pie (the biggest difference is the use of stuffing instead of a crust). It is easy and tasty, and is the perfect dish to welcome the cooler Fall weather.

The 4 main ingredients:  Cubed stuffing, chicken gravy, mixed vegetables, and cooked de-boned chicken. Cooking the chicken should be done ahead of time. I boiled a whole chicken with the skin removed.  I let it simmer on low for an hour, then kept it sitting in the hot broth for another hour. I added some spices to the broth while the chicken was cooking, but you can leave those out if you want. I like to use onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and basil. I don't measure, I just sprinkle it in. When the chicken was done, I poured the broth into an ice cream bucket to let it cool and save for later. Then, when the chicken was cool enough, I removed it from the bone. It was so tender, it basically fell off the bone. That's how you know it is done.

When its time to assemble the casserole, put 4 cups of cooked chicken into a 9x13 dish, and mix it up with a bag of frozen, mixed vegetables. I used a 12 oz. bag this time, but have used a 16 oz. bag in the past.

EL is helping me prepare the gravy. You can use already prepared gravy, or a homemade version, but I like to use 3 packages of McCormick low sodium chicken gravy mix. (It makes about 3 cups of gravy.)

Follow the directions on the package and stir until thickened.

Pour the chicken gravy over the chicken/vegetable mix.
 
Prepare the stuffing. I use a 12 oz. bag of Pepperidge Farm cubed stuffing. Add 2 cups of chicken broth or water to it and stir until moistened.

Spoon the stuffing on top of the chicken.

This is what it looked like before putting it in the oven.

When it comes out of the oven, it is a nice golden brown.

Just look at those perfect fall colors all mixed together in a warm, yummy dish! Add a bowl of applesauce as a side dish, or some other Fall fruit, to complete your meal.


CHICKEN STUFFING PIE

1 12-oz. bag Pepperidge Farm cubed stuffing
3 pkgs. McCormick Chicken Gravy Mix
1 12-oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups cooked, de-boned chicken

Put chicken and vegetables in a 9x13 casserole dish. Prepare gravy and pour over top. Prepare stuffing with 2 cups broth or water and spoon over top. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees F (or until golden and bubbly). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to read your comments!