WELCOME!

WELCOME! I used this blog to share our family's homeschooling thoughts and experiences. Our oldest child, EL, finished her formal education in May 2017, and we graduated our son, JJ, from High School in May 2021. I will leave this blog up for anyone who wishes to read our curriculum reviews or see what types of field trips and/or activities we participated in.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Thankful for Our Family, and Thankful for Our Freedom

Valentine's Day was this past Monday. In the past, our family has not really done anything to celebrate this holiday - except for the kids maybe making a card for me and their Daddy. However, this year, I wanted to do something different. So, for "Home Economics" class, the kids helped me make a large cookie in the shape of a heart.


After we made the heart, I realized my husband could not eat it, due to the chocolate chips in it. I didn't want him to be left out, so I made him a separate batch of heart cookies without the chips. When it came time for supper, I set the table nicely for us all, including lit candles. We had Tortellini Soup and bowls of fruit - and, of course, cookies for dessert!


My husband also surprised me with a bouquet of flowers that night, so those also went well with our nicely decorated table. :-)


After supper, we had a family game night and played a couple rounds of Wii Bowling. We really enjoyed spending time together, and I think I can foresee these types of activities becoming a favorite family tradition for future Valentine's Days. 

As for our studies with ECC, we began studying about Asia this week, and are currently focusing on Saudi Arabia. Another mother who is also using My Father's World for her homeschool, gave this neat idea to help us supplement our studies. She said to get onto the site for Voice of the Martyrs and use their children's site called "Kids of Courage". There, you can find an activity book download about Saudi Arabia. We used part of that activity book this week and it was interesting for the kids to learn about the types of clothes they wear in that country. It was surprising for them to learn about all the rules the Muslims have and how badly they are treated if they go against those rules, especially the women. It was also saddening to learn about how its against the law for Christians to talk to others about Jesus.   

We are thankful for our family, and thankful for the freedoms we have here in America!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to read your comments!