WELCOME!

WELCOME! I used this blog to share our family's homeschooling thoughts and experiences. Our oldest child, EL, finished her formal education in May 2017, and we graduated our son, JJ, from High School in May 2021. I will leave this blog up for anyone who wishes to read our curriculum reviews or see what types of field trips and/or activities we participated in.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Maps & Globes

In our school room, we have a large map of the world attached to the wall. This week, with the use of this map, along with various other books (such as "Maps & Globes" by Jack Knowlton), we have learned about the 7 continents, the 5 oceans, elevation & depth, how to locate a place with latitude and longitude, the need for directions, and how there are different kinds of maps used for different purposes.


We ended the week by making a large sugar cookie and decorating it like the world. Here is Coyote decorating the cookie with blue frosting...


Then, I did my best to draw North America and South America on the "globe" with a tube of green frosting. Its not perfect, but you get the idea.


The kids enjoyed making it with me. But, of course, we all had more fun EATING IT!


On another note, I previously mentioned I would list the curriculum we are currently using for this year. So, for those interested, there is an updated list towards the upper RIGHT of this page.

School is out for the week! Everyone have a great weekend!
.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job everyone! You did a good job with the green frosting, Vicky! I'm sure the kids will remember that lesson well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu did a GREAT job with the icing. I'm so impressed! So fun and definitely something the kids will remember!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to read your comments!