WELCOME!

WELCOME! I used this blog to share our family's homeschooling thoughts and experiences. Our oldest child, EL, finished her formal education in May 2017, and we graduated our son, JJ, from High School in May 2021. I will leave this blog up for anyone who wishes to read our curriculum reviews or see what types of field trips and/or activities we participated in.

Friday, August 31, 2012

First Week of RTR: Rome, Cells, & Scrambled Eggs for Lunch

Last Tuesday (8-21-12), as I previously mentioned, was our first day of school. The day went well. Then, Coyote came down with a fever again on Tuesday evening and was "down for the count" until Friday afternoon when his fever finally left and stayed away for good. So, this past Monday (the 27th), we started back to school again and decided to jump right in with our first week of "Rome to the Reformation." It wasn't the best day for us, because we were all tired and a little grumpy. But, we made it through without too much fuss. The rest of the week went really well. Here are a few things we did...

For History, we learned about Rome and how it began, and had an introduction to Augustus Ceasar.

For Science, we are learning about the human body, and this week's focus was on cells.


For a visual on cells, our Science book had us put lemon gelatin in a baggie and let it harden to represent the cytoplasm, then add a green grape for the nucleus. I didn't have any grapes on hand, so I improvised and used a cherry instead.


On another day, we also did a quick experiment to show how small particles are able to push through a cell membrane, but larger particles cannot. We used a mixture of dried beans and salt. Then, sifted them through a collander.



Of course, the salt sifted through the collander, and the beans remained. It was another hands-on visual to help the kids remember what they have learned.

This week (today, actually), we also began going through a weekly lesson on responsibilities. The book I am using is Lessons in Responsibility for Boys (Level 1) from the Pearables. Many of the lessons are good for both boys AND girls, so I will be reading it to both of our children whenever appropriate. The same goes for Home Economics for Homeschoolers, also by the Pearables. While originally intended for young ladies, the book can be used to help teach boys how to function in a kitchen as well.

In today's "Home Ec" Class, Road Runner learned how to make buttered toast...


And, Coyote learned how to scramble eggs...


Both kids have an allergy to eggs, so guess who had a nice lunch of scrambled eggs and toast? ME! Then, the kids also made their own lunches while I ate mine.

Over all, we had a good week and are looking forward to learning more new things next week! So, stay tuned...


LINKED UP WITH:

8 comments:

  1. They can cook for me anytime.
    Gpmac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would love that! Maybe we can arrange it sometime soon. :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good week :) As an aside, I used to have those same ceramic canisters with the blue hearts - they were from House of Lloyd's Decor and More line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember right, I got those canisters as wedding gift 20 years ago. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I'm not very good at Home Ec sorts of things myself. I need this curriculum! Looks like a good week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah. The curriculum is very easy to use. You would love it.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed looking at your first week in RTR photos. We are also on RTR first week. Loving it so far! I was a little shocked to see your children who have egg allergies cooking eggs! How do you do it? No fears about allergic reactions? When my child had an egg allergy, we never bought eggs or even let them into our house (save mayo and ranch dressing - until we learned about Fat Free Ranch that contains no egg). Well, back to RTR, I look forward to more of your blog entries. I love seeing what other are doing. The visuals help me so much! Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids' egg allergy is not severe. They are able to eat eggs when they are cooked in cookies or cakes. They just cannot eat them plain. They are very careful to wash their hands right after handling eggs. We have had no problems. With peanuts/nuts, however, it is a different story. I will not let them near those, and I do not cook with peanut oil or peanut butter or anything like that.

      Thanks for stopping by! I think RTR will be a fun year.

      Delete

Would love to read your comments!